Mermaid Inspiration | Monday Shadow Challenge x Navy Blue


Hello my Bunnies,

I'm back today with another edition of the Monday Shadow Challenge run by Séverine from the blog Pimpante & Rafraîchie.

Like every week the concept stays the same : 1 week, 1 colour, 1 makeup. If you want to know more about it, you can click here.

This week's colour is navy blue.


After having had some difficulties with last week's colour which was bright yellow, I was very happy (and relieved) to hear that the new colour was navy blue.

I didn't do a post last week but I did try to create something and posted a picture on my facebook page here.


Indeed, though I'm not sure why, I really enjoy working with blue shadows whenever I'm trying to create colourful makeup looks.

I already posted two of them during the past 6 months and I could have recycled them for today, but obviously I wanted to create something new.

However, in case you're interested, I'll put the links to my previous blue looks, just here.

There's a more creative version that could hardly be worn on a daily basis:
The Starry Night Edition

And one that is absolutely wearable:
How to match your liner to your stripy top

For this week's challenge, I first wanted to create a pop art look, inspired by one of the latest snapchat filters, but it was a disaster and I was forced to give up.

So I chose a completely different style and the result is quite summery and maybe a little bit mermaid inspired. I could have made a little more effort in blending, I admit, but I'm not too unhappy with this look.


For this look, I started by choosing my shadows and from there, I just went with the flow.

I have quite a few blue shadows in my collection, but I still wanted to go and have a look at Kiko as their infinity shadows are on sale for CHF 2.90 at the moment, which is a real bargain !

I therefore left the place 10.- lighter but with 3 gorgeous blue shadows.

Here's how I created my makeup look:


1. I started by applying the Lancôme Ombre Hypnôse Stylo in the shade 07 on the inner and outer thirds of the lid, leaving a blank space in the middle to apply my lighter shades. This shadow stick is actually a nightmare to work with. You apply it, it dries instantly and doesn't budge anymore, you just can't blend it. However, the good thing is that it doesn't budge at all and that's why I used it as a base to make my shadows more opaque. I also did a small wing with it.
*you can see this shadow stick in action in both tutorials linked above.

2. With the 278 shadow from Kiko (the darkest blue) I went over the shadow stick. It was a good idea to use this shadow stick as it indeed helped to make the colour more opaque but it also helped it stick better to my lids.

3. I started applying the 409 shadow from Kiko (glittery blue) in the middle of the lid. Unfortunately it was quite sheer so I took my shadow stick again and put some colour, very lightly, on the part that I'd originally left blank. I then applied the 409 shadow back on top. As you can see the result is pretty great, a lot more opaque than when using the shadow on its own.

4. With the 266 shadow still from Kiko (light turquoise blue) I went over the crease to soften the edges as I'd made a very clear cut with the darker blue shadows. I used it to create a sort of halo around my eye lids.
*looking back, I could have made it a little neater

5. I used the Dior Diorshow khôl in the shade 039 (a gorgeous silver) as a liner, taking it a little bit onto my blue wing.

6. On the lower lash line I used the silver liner, the 266 shadow and the 278 shadow to create a sort of gradient effect.

7. For mascara I used the Clinique High Lengths mascara which has a very surprising wand but actually is quite nice.

8. Finally, I used a white eyeliner pencil from Essence to brighten my waterline, but I wouldn't recommend it, as by the time I was done taking my pictures it was almost already all gone.

9. For the brows, I used the Precision eyebrow pencil from Kiko in the shade 04.


And here's what it looks like :




For the face, I didn't do anything too crazy, here's what I used :


For foundation, I mixed the L'Oréal infallible foundation that's a bit too light with the Covergirl Outlast Stay Fabulous that's a bit too dark. I like to mix these two as the provide very good coverage without looking too thick or cakey.

To cover up my dark circles, blemishes and redness, I used the L'Oréal perfect match concealer and I did a little bit of contouring with the Estée Lauder New Dimension palette.

I find that the contour shade in this palette is absolutely spot on. It's a cream formula that's very blendable and that you can use with a brush or a sponge, and the colour is pretty much perfect. However, the highlighter is sadly not as good. Not only is it too dark for my skin, it also sits on the skin funny and tends to highlight any imperfection (pores, lines, dry patches …)

For blush I chose one of the Bourjois 12h aqua blush, that were all the rage last summer. I find it very pretty !

Finally, for lipstick, I used my Guerlain La petite robe noire lipstick in the shade Neon Pumps (I think, I'll edit the post once I get a chance to check the shade)

Edit : It's the shade 002 Pink Tie



And that's it. On the pictures, the navy blue looks a bit lighter than it did in real life but I didn't manage to take my pics quite like I wanted to.

I hope that you like this makeup look and I'll be spending the rest of the day looking at what the others have done with that shade (I've been doing that all day tbh)

On that note, I'm sorry for not leaving more comments on your posts. I read a lot of blogs and appreciate everything but don't often take the time to comment. I'm working on it !

I hope to see you next week with a new shade, and later this week for a different kind of post.

x
Macha

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,