First Impression | By Terry Ombre Blackstar

top : 4. Bronze Moon | bottom : 5. Misty Rock
Today I want to talk to you about a very hyped up product. People have raved about them so much that I caved and bought not one but two colours (I had a voucher and there was an offer on, don't judge me :P)

But are they really worth the hype ?

I have worn them both once now and I wanted to do a first impression post on them as I thought it’d be interesting.

First things first, I love the packaging. It’s sleek, it’s elegant and I like the little ring at the bottom that indicates the shade.

Upon the first application I realised that the fat stick wasn’t my favourite way of applying eyeshahdow as it tends to be a bit messy around the corners but I thought I’d just blend it and the application was very uniform, very opaque with one stroke. I was impressed.

The blending however is in my opinion a bit hard to achieve. If you use your fingers right after applying it, you risk – instead of blending – to take it all off and if you wait a little longer it doesn't budge anymore (which is good afterwards but it means that you have to blend quickly !)
The best thing in my opinion is to use a brush to blend it around the edges and then it works very well. I use my mac 217.

As for the longevity, I was impressed in the store as I couldn't get rid off the swatches on my hand, but I have to say that on my eyes it doesn't last quite as well. Mind you it is still around by the end of the day and it doesn't crease at all but it sort of fades throughout the day and I was expecting some kind of crazy longevity.

I'm really happy with the shades I picked out. Bronze Moon is very similar to the Maybelline Color Tattoo in On and on Bronze and Misty Rock is a gorgeous plummy-taupe.
Both shades are quite metallic, very light-reflecting & pigmented and quite simply gorgeous.

left to right : Misty Rock - Bronze Moon - On and on Bronze
I love the shades and the finish but I was expecting a bit more longevity-wise for the price tag (it still lasts longer than most cream shadows though) and even though I found the application process to be a tad more fiddly than I had anticipated it is still a really good product.

However, given the price tag (29£ / CHF 32 – for once, they're cheaper in Switzerland yay !) I would expect a bit more. In my opinion the Maybelline Color Tattoo in On and on Bronze is a great dupe (slightly cooler toned) for the By Terry Ombre Blackstar in Bronze Moon and I read a post saying that one of the Kiko eyeshadow stick (05 Rosy Brown) was a perfect dupe for Misty Rock (I'll have to look into it !) I do even find that the Maybelline one is slightly better, I find it easier to blend and on me it lasts a little bit longer than the Ombre Blackstar.

All in all, they make a great luxury present or treat but if you're just looking for a bronze cream shadow I'd suggest picking up the maybelline color tattoo instead as it's just a fraction of the price and performs just as well if not better.
In Switzerland you can pick them up from Marionnaud for 32CHF.

Have you tried these ? What do you think ?

x
Macha

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,