There's a Hamster-Shaped Hole in My Heart


I'm sad ! Only pet lover can understand how hard it is to lose a fury (or non fury) ball of love.

Monday, my cat jumped on the hamster cage. It fell. The hamster came out and the cat hurt it so much that we had to put the hamster to sleep.

I have so much sadness and anger inside of me and at first I couldn't understand why.
I've never felt so heartbroken for a pet before.

I've had pets for a while now and I know very well that they come and go, it's the circle of life.

But then I realised that Tambouille (for that was her name) had only been with us for 4 months and was nowhere near being old enough to die of natural causes.
Also the incident could have been so easily avoided. Had someone not forgotten to close the door. Had the cat been outside like he usually is. Had someone realised sooner what had happened. Everything could have been so different.

But no good comes from dwelling on the past and if we could change it a lot of us would.

I also feel like I had a really special bond with this little one. She would always come out of her little house when I entered the room, she was so cute and lively and reacted to the sound of my voice.
It may sound stupid to some of you but she was more than just a hamster to me. Tambouille had a personality, a character and she was the best.

The last couple of days have been hard because it all feels very unfair but I know that I gave her the best life I could. And she'll always have her little place in my heart.

"Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet" - Sidonie Gabrielle Colette

x
Macha